Friday, May 20, 2011

The id picks a WINNER! Also, I answer a few questions.

All right! While I was sick last week, my id took over the blog and offered up a contest. All you guys had to do was recommend a book or ask a question, and WOW! Both your recommendations and your questions were amazing. Thank you. It spared me a giant headache, and now my id is tucked safely away in my unconscious where she belongs.

So ... the winner (chosen, of course, using a random number generator):
ASHELYNN HETLAND
Congrats! Please email me and let me know if you'd like the 10-page critique or the $20 Amazon gift card.

As for the rest of you:

Some of you recommended books I've read and reviewed already here on the blog (Harmonic Feedback, The Marbury Lens, Before I Die, Cracked Up To Be, and Living Dead Girl). And to that I say: You have great taste! I loved each and every one of those books.

Some of you recommended books I haven't yet read. And to that I say: I'm on it! I'll read them and discuss them here, one by one. If you asked a diagnostic question related to the book, I'll answer it.

Some of you asked general psych questions or questions about my work as a psychologist. For each of those, there will be a future post!

And some of you asked questions about my writing. I will answer a few of those below and save the rest for posts of their own ...

Ashelynn asked: "How many novels have you written, or is the one you snagged your agent with the first one?"

I wrote one novel before I wrote Suicide Gates (the manuscript I used to snag dearest KOrtizzle). That first novel is trunked, but I may cannibalize the idea someday because I think it's cool.

After Suicide Gates, I wrote another YA. It's a sort of sci-fi thriller type thing, and I'm currently polishing it up. I've also just written an adult urban fantasy/romance and am in the process of getting beta feedback. This summer, I'm planning to start work on another YA project that I am EXTREMELY excited about. I'm starting to do some research to get ready.

Mandie asked: "What kind of books do you write?"

Suicide Gates is YA horror that also happens to include a lot of romance and action. And also, knives.

Then there's the YA sci-fi thriller that also happens to include a lot of romance and action. And also, a group home for individuals with severe, chronic mental illnesses.

And then there's the adult urban fantasy ROMANCE that includes a lot of ACTION. And also, paramedics. And canals.

Finally, my new project ... IS A SEKRIT. Somewhat. But there will be romance for sure. And action.

Obviously, there are some common themes.

Laura asked: How do you find the time to juggle work, family, blogging, and writing?

Sigh. This is not easy. First, I work at the office only three to four days/week. Second, I only blog three times a week. Third, my children are young and go to bed early. Fourth, I often forgo sleep. Fifth, I type REALLY fast.

OK, folks, I think that's enough for now! If any of you ever have questions about psychology/writing stuff, please email me. I love answering questions. If any of you asked questions that you'd like answered sooner rather than later, please do let me know. There were so many awesome ones!

Thanks to every single one of you who entered the contest, and welcome to all of my new followers who have arrived here more recently! You guys (and your fascinating blogs) make every minute I spend blogging worth it. Have a great weekend!

16 comments:

  1. Congrats to the winner!

    Thanks for answering my question. ;)
    You're certainly a busy lady. I CANNOT WAIT to read your books!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of Sekrit, but what the heck is it????

    I want to read Suicide Gates (love action and romance). I haven't read much (any?) YA horror and I'm curious about the genre. Can you recommend some books from the subgenre? Please. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome questions and answers. I loved hearing more about you, Sarah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I could answer the question to how you juggle everything nearly word for word.

    Your other projects sounds like so much fun!!! I can't wait to read one someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering how a cute little stick figure gets it all done... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa. I was just scrolling through Google Reader when I saw my name and my first thought was: "That's MY name. Why is MY NAME RIGHT THERE?" Hee. Thanks, Sarah. Will email you!

    I find agent and publishing journeys so interesting! I like the name Suicide Gates and would love to read it. Let's hope you get a book deal for it. *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love learning more about you! And your projects sound uber cool. The kind of things I'd love to read. So HURRY UP AND GET THEM PUBLISHED okay? Sorry. Didn't mean to yell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, basically, you're a juggling ninja. :-) Also, Suicide Gates is a great title. Very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to Ashelynn!

    And I'm anxiously awaiting more answers.

    Did you see TML made Booklist's top 10 (sf/f) of 2011? Check Andrew's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to Ashelynn!

    Sara, have you read Thirteen Reasons? I really enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am all for keeping a brand new idea a secret. Never let people know your high-concept plot! Good luck with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats Ashelynn! I love that you write in different genres of YA but stick to your 'theme' of romance and action. Good luck with your sekrit project!
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, I loved this post. And now I'm curious about your new project:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to Ashelynn!

    It was nice to learn more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats to the winner! It's nice to get to know you a little better. Wow that's a lot of books :)

    ReplyDelete