Monday, May 16, 2011

Laughter is the Best Medicine


Lydia and Leigh are hosting today's nifty blogfest! All of us are supposed to post a joke related to writing or our jobs, so here's mine (please note that I did not write this myself, but instead scavenged it from the deepest tubes of the interwebz):

A psychologist was walking along a Hawaiian beach when she kicked a bottle poking up through the sand. Upon opening it, she was astonished to see a cloud of smoke and a genie smiling at her.

"For your kindness," the genie said, "I will grant you one wish!"

The psychologist considered for a moment, then replied, "I have always wanted a road from Hawaii to California."

The genie grimaced. "Listen, I'm sorry, but I can't do that! Think of all the pilings needed to hold up the highway and how long they'd have to be to reach the bottom of the ocean. Think of all the pavement. That's too much to ask."

"OK," the psychologist said, not wanting to be unreasonable. "I'm a psychologist. Make me understand my patients. What makes them laugh and cry, why are they so difficult to get along with, and what do they really want? Basically, teach me to understand what makes them tick!"

The genie sighed. "Did you want two lanes or four?"


What do you think? Funny? Lame? Uncomfortably accurate?

While you're here, please go enter my id's giveaway to prevent it from having a temper tantrum. All you have to do is ask a question or recommend a book, and you'll be entered to win a $20 Amazon gift card or a 10-page crit, your choice. Giveaway ends Wednesday night and winner announced Friday!

Now--go visit some of the other participating bloggers and see what they've come up with!

46 comments:

  1. LOL -- being a psychologist has some similarities to being a teacher. I didn't know about the blogfest -- it might have been fun to post some humorous teaching moments. I CAN tell you the funniest thing that ever happened to me as a teacher was when one of my 4th grade students forgot to wear pants to school. (Long t-shirt, no shorts underneath. Ooops.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately accurrate, but funny nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, geez...that does sound accurate. LOL Honestly, it sounds like the patients could be my kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I loved it, but then again I'm a fan of uncomfortable humor:) I didn't realize this blogfest was going on today but I'm pretty happy about it. . . we can all use a little laughter on Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFL. That was too funny! (and true).

    Wow, blogging is going to be fun today! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny and disturbing at the same time. Reminds me of the Far Side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahaha! Best blogfest of the year. So many giggles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked it! These entries are going to be fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL. I thought it was good! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not lame, totally funny! Two lanes or four, oh my...

    Thanks for being a sport and joining in the blogfest, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! :) That was cute and YAY for genies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can just hear Robin Williams' voice on this one. Thanks for the chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! Awesome! I never considered how hard a genie's job must be. Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. He he he I'm liking this blogfest. ;D Didn't know about it before (I might live in a cave, well a writing cave this past week). Gotta love a good genie joke.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL!!! Love it. And I love how conscientious and environmentally-friendly the genie tried to be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A writing phycologist. Should have seen that one coming. Thanks for the laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi miss sarah! for sure im gonna share that joke with my brother. it got me laughing cause i know how hard his job is just like yours is. i missed out on the blogfest but for sure i like laughing.
    i did a post on it one time and a couple said i could need to repost it. so i think im gonna.
    ...hugs from lenny

    ReplyDelete
  18. New follower here!

    HAHAHAHA good ol' psychiatrist joke! Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love lame jokes. The lamer, the better. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL! I want that road to Hawaii!!

    Thanks for sharing. I'm a new follower and all because of the blogfest. =) So nice to meet new people.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Funny! Most men would likely try to apply that to understanding women. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. lol I thought it very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cute! I enjoyed it very much. :)

    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  24. Seriously cool :)

    .........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, wonderfully funny! Love that.

    P.S. Nice to connect with you today, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hahahahaha! So funny...And so true. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, dear, it sounds so true! V. funny.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lame and funny. I liked it. I am loving the blogfest :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. BAH!!!! That's awesome. LOVE that. Two lanes or four... *snort*

    OK, this was great~ Thanks for playing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. I left you a little something on my blog :D

    <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete