Monday, March 5, 2012

How I went from being a stick figure to a real girl.

Every once in awhile, I disappear from the blogosphere. Last week was one of those times, as I finished an initial round of revisions to the SANCTUM sequel with the agent in preparation to send it to the editor. And that's done! Yay! On to the next thing ...

But before I do that, let me tell you: I do not like having my picture taken. Over the past year and a half, I have been very happy to be a stick figure (particularly because that drawing was created by a child I happen to be quite fond of). However, when SANCTUM sold, my dear agent said to me: "You have to get an author photo taken."

Gah. Ugh. Erg. Argh.

I made those sounds for months. I also took absolutely no action on the author photo front. I stuck my head in the proverbial sand and clung fiercely to my avatar.
Until the publisher said: "Oh, hey, we need an author photo of you within the next thirty days." And sure enough, it was actually in the contract I'd just signed.

Oops.

Did you know that eye-rolling has a special sound of its own? It does. And I know because I can hear Kathleen doing it, all the way from New York.

So! Author photo! I scoured the local listings for photographers, but was confronted with pictures of puppies and babies.

Now, a few of you have read SANCTUM, the story of a rather rough-edged girl who sneaks into hell to rescue the soul of her best friend. So you know it's ... not a puppies and babies story, to say the least.

Don't get me wrong. I actually have nothing against puppies or babies. But I wanted an author photo that would, at minimum, not be entirely incongruous with the tone of my story.

I finally found a photographer I liked. Her name is Rebecca Skinner. After a few friendly email exchanges, I asked her ..."How would you feel about taking my picture in ... I don't know ... an abandoned building or something?"

I thought she would think I was totally weird. Instead, she responded with something like, "Are you kidding? Awesome!" and linked me to her Facebook gallery. I was stunned. Turns out Rebecca is a veritable connosseur of local abandoned mills.

Brilliant! We scheduled a time. She told me to wear boots and be ready to get dirty.

I was so very excited. This was going to be great.

Now, it didn't turn out quite how I expected, but I'll tell you that story on Wednesday. Oh, and I'll be posting my shiny new author pic at that time, too, as well as giving you a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card.

While you're waiting in great anticipation of finally seeing my (frankly unremarkable) face, please go visit Lydia for her Medical Monday post, and Laura (who just signed a contract with Kae Wilson publishing! Go congratulate her!) for her Mental Health Monday post.

38 comments:

  1. LOL! So THAT"S why you have the stick figure? Can't wait to see the real you and my chance to win. Cute post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, RATS! I thought you were going to post the picture today!

    I felt the same way about photographs. I don't like most of them. I paid for a shoot with a photograper/friend and received a disc with 30 pix on it. Out of the 30, there's only 1 b/w photo I can bear to have used. (And the one I use with my blogger account now, I took with my dumb phone.)

    Looking forward to meeting you face to face on Wednesday. Congrats on getting your SANCTUM sequel revisions done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the stick figure would be an awesome author photo! (lol)

    I hate every photo of me. I've got a bit of a squint, which isn't noticeable normally, but in photos I look like I'm winking, in a lopsided, squished-face kind of way. Not a good look.

    Looking forward to your author picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was quite the tease. I thought maybe we'd finally get a glimpse at your mug, but I guess we can wait til Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh drat! You were supposed to post a pic Sarah! You tease:) S'okay. I can be patient:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see your photo, Sarah. And I LOVE the idea of the location. It's perfect for Sanctum!!!!!

    I love taking photos. I'm not so great when it comes to having one done of me, either. My kids and husband keep telling me we have to get a family one done this year. And I need an updated one (my 12 yo took the one on my blog). Soon. Very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the photographer in my family so there aren't a lot of pictures of me (the one in my avatar still looks like me in a thumbnail version, but it is four years old). I don't think that most photos of me look like the person I see in the mirror - but every once in a while that talented photographer comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so funny. The pic is stunning. You're right to keep people in suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see your pic!! So glad you finally embraced the idea. I'm not a huge fan of having my picture taken either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i remember what you look like! justine's sister! right!??!? :)
    looking forward to the photo!
    and WHAT AN AWESOME gallery that rebecca skinner has!
    and WHAT AN AWESOME idea to have an abandoned building author photo (seriously you just wanted an excuse to go exploring, though, right?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Silly Sarah. You just needed to invest in one of these: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs51/i/2009/277/4/e/Hyena__View_1_by_MonicaMcClain.jpg Then, all photo adventures would be super easy.

    It's okay. You'll always be a beautiful stick figure to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I for one was shocked, SHOCKED, to see that Sarah is not multicolored with no body and digestive organs cleverly disguised within her stick limbs. She's been fooling us this whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to get my picture professionally taken. I'm waiting until I'm no longer pregnant. My three chins can't be photoshoped. Ha!
    I can't wait to see your pic! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um ... *clears throat* ... Wednesday is tomorrow for me.

    Just sayin'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

    That is all.

    ~JD

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll definitely be back for the picture. Picture taking should always be as much fun as you described, but it often isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me thinks this was a TEASE-- who's with me?!?! I see that Matt is. *high five* :D I hear ya, Sarah. I have cartoon pic on the front of my blog too (but not on Twitter, go figure)!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I CANNOT wait to see this photo. I bet it's lovely. And you are such a tease! I scrolled down first to see if you posted it, but there was none! It's ok, I can wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. YAY!!!!!!!!

    Hehehe, I'm working on an author photo too...yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm having some photos taken tomorrow. I also dislike having my photo taken, and I'm already panicking. Looking forward to reading the story of your shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. As someone who has no decent full-length photos and wants to get some taken, I'm so pleased you shared this story. Makes me want to bite the bullet and find a photographer, even if I don't have the good excuse of needing an author photo. I can't wait to hear more about the process of getting the perfect picture!

    ReplyDelete
  22. it's in the contract? You HAVE to do an author photo? ... :p But yay!!! I can't wait to see your smiling mug! Now I have to remember to jump back on here and look... Revisions really do eat your life--at least they do mine. <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those contracts can be brutal! I can't wait to see the photo though, especially since it will be in an interesting place. I will go see Lydia right away.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have to be careful with photographers. They're artists by their own rights and some of them might not be happy just to do a standard yearbook photo if there's little creativity involved.

    Can't wait to see the real you though!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looking forward to seeing your picture (though I do love the stick figure)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. A great story. Can't wait to see the photo :) I almost put up an avatar instead of a picture for my blog, but I knew the day would come that I would have to expose myself, so I just dived right in. Now I'm wondering why I balked in the first place. But I still avoid the camera whenever possible. My cheeks are round enough without the camera adding poundage :)

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't wait!!!!! I'll be back (sorry Arnold). :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm going to miss your stick figure, but Im looking forward to seeing your author pic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. It actually took me three years of blogging before I posted a picture. I'm blaming it on the Native American fear - the camera steals part of your soul.
    In any case, sounds like you have a perfect photographer for your author photo. Can't wait to see it. Absolutely, love the idea of having your picture taken in an abandoned building. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Can't wait to see you for real, oh mysterious stick-figured one :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. So awesome! I *think* I know what you look like because of other blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have no idea what you look like! I could trip over you in the street and never know it was you--wouldn't that be, like, the strangest situation?
    hahahahahhaha I crack myself up.
    Looking forward to your picture! Love how you were thinking outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've never been a fan of having my picture taken, either. It's far easier to ignore my actual appearance if I'm not confronted with a stupid picture. (Keep in mind, however, that most cameras, like bathroom scales, LIE!) That being said, I'm looking forward to catching a glimpse of the "real you."

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm looking forward to seeing what you let out of the box :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm looking forward to the big reveal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. One of my favorite author photos is of Elizabeth Adler. She looks to be sitting outside, laughing at the camera, having the time of her life. Looking forward to seeing your (sounds like) appropriately moody photo. Can't wait! I'm sure it will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Aw, I got hit with a "service unavailable" and my comment was lost, so I'm trying again. Looking forward to seeing your photo (sounds like an appropriately moody atmosphere)!

    ReplyDelete