Monday, March 12, 2012

The picture is worth ...

First, I just need to mention this, because it's pretty cool:


My work is going to be translated into German! Woohoo! Kathleen is amazing with the foreign rights stuff. She's off in Italy now, in advance of the Bologna Children's Book Fair. I am jealous--but only because she's in Italy. Not because she has, and I do not exaggerate, 72 meetings she will be attending during the fair.

NOW, last week I posted my Sarah Fine author pic. I say it like that because I also have an S.E. Fine author pic which has yet to be unveiled. Kathleen told me I needed two different photos. SCAN is a thriller, whereas SANCTUM is an urban fantasy. Two genres, two author names, two pictures. Both photos were taken by Rebecca Skinner, who is now my favorite photographer ever.

But SCAN comes out in fall of 2013, and SANCTUM comes out in the fall OF THIS YEAR OMG OMG, so bemusedly-standing-amidst-the-rubble is my persona of the moment. It's ideal for the story, because the bulk of SANCTUM takes place in a vast, desolate city, full of dark alleyways and abandoned buildings, a bunch of hollowed-out, unhappy people, a crew of mischievous and seriously evil creatures, and a cadre of indentured Guards charged with keeping things under control. At one point a character actually does huddle against a large pile of rubble. Yay, rubble!

*ahem*

So! I asked you to caption my photo, and you folks did not disappoint. I had so much fun last week, with all these enormously witty comments popping into my inbox. As promised, I entered all commenters into the random number generator, and the winner of the $25 Amazon gift card is:


Michael's entry was also quite fitting, and captured the way I think about a lot of these abandoned buildings and lonely, desolate locations, places that snag and hold my attention more often than not. His caption also happens to be perfect for SANCTUM itself, in which the main character finds herself falling for a guy while trapped in that terrible city I just described.

Michael's caption: "There's beauty in the least likely of places ..."

Thank you, Michael, and thanks to all of you who played along, and for all of your generous compliments!

Now, because it's Monday, please go visit Lydia to read her Medical Monday post, and Laura for her Mental Health Monday post!

26 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled for you!! And seriously, I missed your photo reveal. Grr.....

    Congrats to Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on selling the German rights, Sarah! That's wonderful news!

    And yes, that caption is PERFECT. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exciting time for you! Your work translated to another language. So fun. And I LOVE the pic and the caption. Powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Sarah, on the HUGE news! German is my husband second language. Not that he speaks it much. And the only time I've heard his parents speak German was when we were all visiting relatives there.

    I bet this is only the beginning of your foreign right sales.

    I thought Sanctum was pretty thrilling. All of the stories in the series have been. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Sarah,

    What exciting news! I am so thrilled for you.

    And I am glad you liked my caption. Wow, that gift card can buy so many cool books. Thanks again,

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Sarah! I just looked at your photos too. AWESOME!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats also...and I know that Bologna is a city, but seeing Bologna Children's Book Fair struck me funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous photo, Sarah, and a great story to go with it. And congrats to Michael--what a great guy he is, and good with captions, too. AND, many congratulations on the translation to German, too. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to Michael and to you for the German translation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'll be famous in Germany!!! :D That's totally awesome. Congrats to Michael, too! Wow. It's just all coming together now. How supercool. :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that quote! And I'm so excited for all your good news. I can't wait to get my hands on your book this fall!! How cool is that? And the pics are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO excited for you!!!!!!!!

    Congrats, Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo Hoo!! Congrats! I'd say it in german, but alas, i don't speak it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the foreign rights! Woo hoo! And Michael's caption is perfect, because that really is a lovely picture.

    Can't wait to see your other persona, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oops, I saw your new (awesome) picture and commented on it a "little" late. (Like, just now!) The caption you chose is absolutely perfect. Congrats to you on the German rights, and congrats to Michael for winning the gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are no longer a stick figure! Look at that. Congrats to Michael on winning, and HUGE CONGRATS on your German rights! You're going to be an internation best seller now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. German? How cool!

    Congrats to Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats to Michael, and a huge congrats to you. You must be walking on air!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cannot wait until your novels are released to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the picture. Novels? German? Professional photo shoots? You're really going places!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I think I missed the photo reveal. So I'm late to this but just wanna say: YOU ARE GORGEOUS!!! Glad you're not hiding behind the stick figure anymore. :) And congrats on your novels! So exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the winning caption and love being your favorite photographer! I had so much fun! Need to find more scary and dangerous places for your next book! Hahaha....

    ReplyDelete