Tuesday, May 29, 2012

In case you haven't yet seen ...


This is the cover for SANCTUM. Many of you have already seen it and have let me know what you think of it, and I appreciate every single kind and enthusiastic word! For those of you who haven't yet seen, it was revealed on Sunday on the Mundie Moms blog, where I answered some really great questions from Katieb about the story and its characters (my first interview! Please check it out!). Here's the summary/flap copy:

A week ago, seventeen-year-old Lela Santos's best friend, Nadia, killed herself. Today, thanks to a farewell ritual gone awry, Lela is standing in paradise, looking upon a vast gated city in the distance – hell. No one willingly walks through the Suicide Gates, into a place smothered in darkness and infested with depraved creatures. But Lela isn't just anyone – she's determined to save her best friend's soul, even if it means sacrificing her eternal afterlife.

As Lela struggles to find Nadia, she's captured by the Guards, enormous, not-quite-human creatures that patrol the dark city's endless streets. Their all-too-human leader, Malachi, is unlike them in every way except one: his deadly efficiency. When he meets Lela, Malachi forms his own plan: get her out of the city, even if it means she must leave Nadia behind. Malachi knows something Lela doesn't – the dark city isn't the worst place Lela could end up, and he will stop at nothing to keep her from that fate.

As you may know, most authors don't design their own covers (and that's good, because I am the least visual person on the planet--I'm made entirely of words). You may also know that not every author actually *likes* her cover. It happens sometimes.

LOVE this cover. I also enjoyed the process. I was given the chance to have quite a bit of input, starting with offering my own ideas, supplying reference images, and offering my take on the appropriate mood and tone. Then, I was given the opportunity to review a few rounds before we reached this final product, but at each step along the way, I really felt like my editor and cover designer listened. Despite experiencing that, I was still stunned by this cover; it's about ten times better than I ever imagined it could be (which is why it's a wonderful thing that I didn't have to design it myself). It captures Lela's vulnerable-yet-unbreakable spirit, the absolute immensity of what she's facing as she searches for the friend she lost to suicide, and the hope and determination that propels the story.

Anyway, if you're interested, you can add Sanctum to your TBR shelf on Goodreads. Also, I now have an author website you can check out here. If you're a person who "likes" things on the Facebook, my page is right here. And if you happen to want to pre-order SANCTUM, it's right here--or stop by this blog/Goodreads over the next few months because I think I'll be giving away some ARCs! I promise you, I will not get spammy with all this stuff, but you know. I had to mention it. And I'm kind of excited.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

21 comments:

  1. It sounds pretty biblical, in a totally awesome way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great that you had so much input on your cover. I too have heard stories of authors who had covers that were so wrong--even the wrong race for the main character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Added it on goodreads. I like the fact that you got to have some input. Who would know what cover fits the story better than the person who wrote it :-)

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATS!!! I'm so excited for you, Sarah! Every word of this post made me happy. :)

    Big, squishy hugs,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seen it. Love it! Can't wait to read it~ :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful cover!! Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my!!! I totally am all fan-girl over your cover!!! You already know how much I love this premise. WANT, WANT, WANT!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cover! It's fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it too. I really want to know more about that city below, especially since she's clearly looking at it too. Tantalizing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! This is a beautiful cover. I really like how we can see the character and the world. Added to the TBR! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woot wooooooot! Second time seeing it and yep, still rocks HARD!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've already told you how much I like it and I believe you'll pull in a lot of potential readers from it alone. It's fun to see you so excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so thrilled for you, and it's awesome that you love your cover! It is a very nice cover. I love the cover model's expression. Congrats, and I can't wait to read it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hadn't seen it before just now, but it looks cool!

    Great cover, fantastic flap synopsis.

    I'll be reading it and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the use of light in the cover and that beautiful shade of blue in the title font! Very cool that the name of the series is on the cover, too. Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so cool that you were allowed so much input. The cover is fierce!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic cover! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have I mentioned that I Love this cover? So much that I can't properly capitalize?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay! This looks so badass. Can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So, this is AWESOME! Just gorgeous, Sarah. And I'm super happy for you that you got to have so much input. That doesn't always happen--at least, that's what I hear, haha. :) Anyway, congratulations! I'm adding it to my Goodreads TBR list, and I can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete