Friday, June 1, 2012

BEA and MAP

Next week I won't be blogging until Friday, because I'll be at BEA for the first half of the week.

This is a first for me. This is AMAZING for me. I started writing less than three years ago, and next week I'll be at BEA. Signing my books. For anyone who looks mildly interested. Watch out, people.

If you happen to be attending BEA, please come visit me. On Wednesday, June 6th, from 11am-12pm, I'll be in the Amazon Children's Publishing booth (#2663), signing ARCs of SANCTUM.

Also, I will have thirty copies of a map of the dark city, the place featured on the cover, where most of the story unfolds. I'll be tucking them into ARCs as I sign. The map is going to be in the final version of the book that's being published in October, but it's not in the ARCs. And the maps I have for BEA are very special. I think you want one. Probably because I spent hours getting them ready, and because I think they look pretty neat. Each one is different and unique. Really.

In the book, Malachi draws this map on the wall of his quarters. The map in the book is HIS map. My cartographer, Luka Rejec, obviously kept that firmly in mind as he created it. I could go on and on about how amazed I am at this thing, and we'll unveil it on my website later this month. But first, on Monday, June 11, I'll be interviewing Luka (who is very charming and funny), and giving away an ARC or two of SANCTUM with one of these special sneak-preview super-cool maps tucked inside. If you're interested in either my book ... or in maps ... or in the process of commissioning a cartographer ... or any of the above, please stop by that day!

And would you like a sneak peek at the map?  Here you go ...




Intrigued?



(I really hope so)


Have a great weekend, everyone, and I'll be back next Friday!

18 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you! (And a little bit envious!) I was asked to go to BEA when my first book came out, but I couldn't do it, because of schedule conflicts at home. I hope to go next year, but I worry about it falling on the last days of the school year (as it does this year). I'm not sure I can take off those days.

    You can see I'm worrying a year in advance. As a psychologist, what do you suggest? :)

    Anyway, your map looks awesome, and I'll bet your ARCs are gorgeous! Have you held one in your hands yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that! Both you at BEA and the map. And I would love to come by a visit with you if I were going to be there. It'd be nice to see you in person. Have a splendid time. Enjoy the moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're going to have an incredible time! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am unbelievably intrigued. Make sure someone takes a picture (even if it's from far away) of you signing books. So we can enjoy it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see the map!!!! Ah, Malachi. *sighs dreamily*

    Have fun at BEA. I wish I were going. Can't wait to hear how it went.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I press my face close enough to the screen, I will be able to make the image of the map expand so that I can see all of it! I can't wait to see it one day! (Even if it must be later this month.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun at BEA!! Take lots of pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A book without a map is like a Samurai without a Katana.

    In other words: not useless, but not nearly as cool as it could be. I drew a map for my book (a bad one), and 90% of it all takes place on a school campus.

    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be at BEA next week. I'll have to fit your signing on my agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A map! I <3 maps. I tried making one for my MCs world once, but it was pretty messy and the scale was completely off. Cartographer, I am not.

    Have a nice time at BEA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have fun at BEA! I really, really wish I could be there but it's just going to have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really wish I could go! Have lots of fun and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eee, so awesome! I love maps in books, and yes, I'm so curious about this whole commissioning a cartographer business. It's like, what?! Wish I could go to BEA and hassle you in person, but alas. Have lots of fun!!! Can't wait to see the map!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could be at BEA for your signing! And I wish I could have one of those maps. Hint, hint!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too wish I could be at BEA. Have a fantastic time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, man! Sarah!!! That is so cool that you're at BEA signing books and being awesome. And it is totally NOT FAIR that you're giving cool maps to BEA attendees. What about the little pleebs like me who can't be there? :( *pouty face* I want a map.

    LOL! Have a blast! Take pictures! Keep a journal. This is your first big *thing* as an author~ ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sooo awesome!!! Hope you have a great time. Wish I could go! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. How exciting for you!! Pictures!! (when you get back, that is)

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete