Friday, July 20, 2012

Book Deal News: FACTORY GHOST (AKA: That thing I wasn't supposed to write ... but did)

This is a bit surreal.

In the fall of 2011, things were a bit hectic. I had the deal for SANCTUM, and I was smack-dab in the middle of writing the sequel. In September, I interrupted that project to write the partial for SCAN that went on submission in October.

I write to cope. And when I'm on sub, I cope hard. Once SCAN was with editors, I needed to stay busy, even though I knew that if it was acquired, I'd need to write the rest of the book on a very tight deadline. But for some reason, I didn't feel like immediately jumping back into Sanctum2 once I'd taken a break with it.

Aaaaand then I got an idea. Sneakily, guiltily, I wrote a few chapters. I sent them to Brigid Kemmerer, because she is very honest and frank (on top of being a brilliant writer), and I knew she'd slap me upside the head if I was getting involved in a project that was a total waste. But she got back to me quickly and basically said "GO GO GO!"

So I went went went, and three weeks later, FACTORY GHOST was finished. It's sort of like Phantom of the Opera meets Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, set in a fictional Asian society. Writing it was intense to say the least. But I'm *really* proud of it. And yesterday evening, this came out in the Publishers Weekly Children's Bookshelf:

Ruta Rimas at Margaret K. McElderry Books has acquired at auction Sarah Fine's Factory Ghost, a gothic YA novel about a 16-year-old girl who moves in with her father, the resident doctor for the town's slaughterhouse, and discovers that the myth of the factory ghost may not be a myth at all. Publication is set for winter 2014. Kathleen Ortiz of New Leaf Literary & Media did the two-book deal for North American rights.
Thank you, Brigid, for encouraging me to write this book even though the timing was all wrong. Thank you, Kathleen, for not freaking out (out loud, at least) when I told you I was writing another book instead of the books that were already under contract (and for supplying the color coded schedules to make sure I don't miss any of my deadlines. And for, you know, selling my books). Thank you, Ruta, as well as the entire McElderry team, for being so enthusiastic about this story.

And thank you, blog friends, for being part of this with me. I am so, so fortunate to be part of this community.

46 comments:

  1. Congrats, Sarah! You're a writing machine. And I feel so honored to have had the opportunity to read both Sanctum and Factory Ghost. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

    I'm still doing a happy dance for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. I just got here and hadn't even heard about SCAN yet, and now there's another book?

    What kind of coffee do you drink? And what color magic socks? And CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent news, Sarah! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome news, Sarah! Congrats to your many successes. I can't wait to see it on shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Sarah! That's awesome news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah! That is so awesome. You must be over the moon. I can't wait to read ALL your books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Sarah! I can't believe how fast you write! (Don't you sleep?)

    If I buy more than 1 book by an author on my Kindle, I give them their own folder on my Home screen. You are SO going to have a folder on my Kindle. Think of that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, congrats, Sarah! Awesome news for you and for those of us waiting to read all of your new projects. Lots of happy dancing going on, huh?

    -Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow wow WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing! (I am going to avert my eyes from that three week statement) :D :D :D I will be reading lots of SARAH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!!! Wonderful news!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Congratulations! Get ready to do a lot of writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOO and HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D AWESOME news! You're a writing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember talking about this. Also, Congrats!

    But, you do need a slap on the wrist for never telling me to follow Brigid's blog before. Don't worry, I've taken care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great scenario! You are an inspiration. I truly can't imagine writing a book in three weeks, and am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm SO excited by this. Congrats again, Sarah! :D *dances some more*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excited flail-filled hands. Yes x infinity. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an intriguing and original idea! Congratulations! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How will I ever keep up with you??? :D This is fantastic news--SUPER CONGRATS!!! Woo hoo! Can't wait to read them all~ :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are taking over the literary world, one book series at a time. I bow down to you. *salaam* *asks for book writing pixie dust*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that's amazing!! Congratulations Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Holy peanut-butter fudge, that's so awesome! CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is one of the most amazing publication stories I've ever read. And it says so much about the importance of passion for the story and listening to yourself. Thank you for sharing it. Can't wait to read your books.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations! And can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. MAJOR CONGRATS!! You are on FIRE, my dear! Your passion and work ethic has most definitely inspired me. Can't wait to read ALL your books! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's so exciting!!! Congrats!! Stina sent me over :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's an awesome story! I love it. And thank heavens for flexible people letting you go when your muse calls.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Goodness gracious, so many deals! This book sounds amazing - congrats! :DDD

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sarah,
    Your mom and I are so proud. Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  29. As I already told you on twitter, CONGRATS!!! I'm totally intrigued by the premise of Factory Ghost and I'm kinda sad that I won't see it until like 2014! Also, I'm still not over the amount writing you've done in this period of time. I mean, THREE books! Way to put us all to shame. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats!!! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm writing a proposal for an editor at this very moment, and I SO craved a boost (I'm TIRED). This is just what I needed. Congratulations, and I'd love to know what you (the psychologist you!) think about teens and coming of age rituals, as in: http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/a-boy-learns-to-milk-and-becomes-a-man/. Again, congratulations, and I'm so impressed and happy for you.

    www.jessicalahey.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I didn't know you wore magic socks.

    I'm so happy to see this announcement for the story about the chickens!
    Congratu-atu-atu-lations!

    I hope that made sense. I'm slightly brain dead today but I can sing any song from Charlotte's Web, the musical, by heart. Which is WHY I'm brain dead.

    Love that title, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow. This sounds like an amazing time for you. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This sounds amazing! Congratulations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Uber excited for you! That is so awesome! YAY!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congrats! This is all very exciting...just signed up to be your 499th follower....one more! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congratulations! It seems like you are "coping" very well during submissions... I can't wait to read Sanctum. I just put it on my Goodreads TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. holy macaroni!!!! you are a machine! good job!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am over the moon for you, Sarah! Congratulations!! :) I can't wait to read ALL of these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Holy cow, you are on a roll! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Popped over from Stina's blog. Congratulations *sets off fireworks* (of course not around any dry brush)

    ReplyDelete
  42. WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Gurl, can't wait to get my hands on your books!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. So... I know this is an older blogpost, but I've been scavenging for every little bit I can find about this book. ^.^ It sounds amazing and I'm so excited to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete