Below are first lines from several of my manuscripts. None of which are under contract by the way--these are not lines from Sanctum or Scan or their sequels. Below are lines from two trunked mss and three that have yet to see the light of day but probably will in the future. I pretty much never share excerpts from things I've written, so today will be a wild and crazy departure from the usual! Yay?
Here's what I thought we could do. I'll give you the lines and then ask a few questions. The person with the most correct answers wins a $10 gift card. If more than one person gets all answers correct, I'll flip a coin or use a random number generator to choose the winner. We can call this my so close to 500 followers it BURNssss contest, okay?
Okay, here are the first lines ...
A. "The chauffeur drove them home from the hospital, maneuvering the amphibious limousine through the waist-deep canals in their Back Bay neighborhood."
B. "If I had fingers, I would dig them into the earth at your feet."
C. "Amy and I picked our way through the thick stand of trees, the only boundary between the high school fields and the cemetery."
D. "By the time we cross into Sinaloa from Durango, I understand that I will never see my home again."
E. "When you’re cornered, you find out what’s at the heart of you."
And here are the questions ...
- Which first line comes from the first manuscript I ever wrote?
- Which first line comes from the manuscript I'm working on right now?
- Which first line starts out a manuscript that includes walking personifications of doom and violent death who happen to be very good at Irish dancing?
- Which first line is delivered by a character who is on an airplane?
- Which first line is delivered by a character who is the daughter/son of a psychiatrist?