Monday, August 13, 2012

Pictures of a psychologist telling jokes while alone in her office.

Er, hi. It's been awhile since I've posted, but that's because I've spent the last week in Maine with my family, many of whom live nauseatingly far away (like ... in CHINA). So I don't get to see them that often, and it was nice to reconnect.

But I'm back! My last post, for those of you who remember, was all about my nerves as I prepared to give my very first online seminar. I think it went really well! The presentation was on proven strategies to deal with obstacles to a successful writing career, like coping with rejection and writer's block. My next few posts are going to be about writer's block, so please come back on Wednesday and through next week for those!

First, though, as I ease my way back into things ... here are a few screen captures, taken by a lovely and talented colleague of mine as she watched my presentation that day from the safety of her office (which is right next to mine). She managed to capture a range of ridiculous facial expressions ...

Here I'm feeling kind of embarrassed as the moderator
introduces me as a "successful" writer ... it was very generous
considering none of my books have been published yet.

I'm saying something like: "You must FEEL the ICK." If you
want to know what I'm referring to, please check out my posts
over the next week.
Here I am, demonstrating a highly technical and
complicated writerly technique known as BICHOK. I suspect
many of you already know this term, but if you don't ...
again, please stay tuned.

One of my favorites. You know you're in trouble if I ask
you a question while wearing this expression.
Overall, giving a talk with only an online audience turned out to be pretty okay once I got into it. The participants were great at using the chat feature to answer and ask questions, so I didn't feel too cut off, and MediaBistro had an awesome moderator, Gretchen, who made me feel very comfortable.

Anyway, I think that's probably more pictures of ME than you wanted to see. So, on Wednesday I'll start talking about a proven effective model for dealing with the nasty things that creep up on us and steal our creative energy and motivation. And you can picture me talking to you about it with some of these expressions on my face. But you totally don't have to.

In the meantime, if you want to see something prettier and more interesting than my face, please check out this review of SANCTUM at the Bookittyblog --and see what you think of the blogger's choices for the "Dream Cast"! She does this kind of thing for many of the books she reviews, which I think is really cool. I'm not a very visual person, so it was neat to see someone else's perspective on how my characters might look. Um ... especially Malachi. *fans self*

Happy Monday, everyone!

13 comments:

  1. Santana as Lela? Oh hell yes.

    Now, I can't decide which of these photos I like best. Ick and trouble face are both pretty funny, but your embarrassed smile is too adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha! That trouble face is the one I'd expect to see if I was in your office as a patient -- the one where you ask me: "Do you really think that's a good idea?"

    And "the nasty things that creep up on us and steal our creative energy and motivation" -- you mean like THE SCHOOL YEAR?!?! (Creeping up on me a week from tomorrow)

    ReplyDelete
  3. heeheehee! i LOVE these! too cute!
    and wowza, that's a purty cast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GURL, you are SUPER talented!!!!! Glad to hear the conference went well. Love the pics and can't wait to read Wednesday's post! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great variety of facial expressions. I'm looking forward to finding out feeling the "ick" and BICHOK (I THINK i know what it means--body parts in chairs and on keyboards?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to see the different sides of you, Sarah! I remember when you were just a stick figure. ;)

    Looking forward to your upcoming posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, nice cast! And yes, Santana would make an excellent Lela! :D

    And, for the record, I always picture you wearing that troubled expression whenever you read my work. ;) "April did WHAT?" XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, you look just like a real person :)

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I'm happy you liked the cast :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! You made the faces! :D See? I told you you'd be great, and here are the pictures to prove it. I love your hair. Now let me run over and see that cast...

    Oh, I have no idea what in the world BICHOK is. :p But I'll be back~

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like your playing the air piano in picture #3. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why'd you ever want to go to Maine?

    Looks nice, sure, but the people there are just plain weird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is hilarious.
    Sara Larsen reviewed Sanctum today.
    I know I'm weeks and weeks late reading this post but whatever.
    I went to Maine too.
    :)

    ReplyDelete